Round 4 Match 8 Results: South Sydney Rabbitohs 38 v Canterbury Bulldogs 16

The final match of Round 4 saw the Rabbitohs snare their second season win when they beat the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium by an emphatic 22 point margin.

Starting the match as the underdogs the Rabbitohs showed they had put their early season poor form behind them and backed up their Round 3 win against the Sharks with another on Monday night.

It was straight into the action when the Bulldogs scored in their opening set of six, putting their first points on the board just two minutes in. Bryson Goodwin converted giving the visitors a 6 – nil lead, but the glory only lasted a couple of minutes.

In the fourth minute the Rabbitohs showed they weren’t going to suffer the same fate as the Roosters did in Round 3, when Beau Champion scored and Issac Luke kicked to tie the score six all.

A mere four minutes later halve Chris Sandow touched down another one for the Rabbitohs, giving them the momentum they needed to thrash the Bulldogs in the first half.

While Canterbury failed to score again in the first half, South Sydney were seemingly unstoppable. Winger Nathan Merritt scored one in the corner in the 24th minute and then Sam Burgess, recently signed over from England, bagged himself a double scoring in the 29th and 35th minutes.

Kicking three from five, Issac Luke bought South Sydney up to a 26 – 6 lead heading into half time giving the 30,000 strong crowd something to cheer about.

The second half was more tightly matched, with Issac Luke putting down a try in the 58th minute before Chris Sandow took over kicking duties and converted it to see them a further six points ahead of the visitors.

Just over five minutes later Bryson Goodwin began what Doggy fans were hoping would be a second half comeback, when he scored in the 64th minute, but he failed to convert his own try narrowing the margin to 32 – 10.

Benjamin Barba then added another try to Canberra’s score in the 72nd minute and a successful conversion this time saw the score sit 32 – 16.

But it was too little too late by the Bulldogs and just to prove they had a few more points in them, South Sydney’s Beau Champion scored his second try of the night in the 80th with Sandow kicking it through the posts to bring the final score 38 – 16.