Round 5 – Match 2 Results: Gold Coast Titans 20 v Melbourne Storm 16

One of the shock wins of Round 5 occurred on Friday night at Skilled Park when the Titans snared their fourth win of the season and handed the Storm their first 2010 loss.

With many predicting the Storm to thrash the Gold Coast, the Titans held strong and took advantage of Melbourne who were coming off a hard win against the Dragons last week.

The Gold Coast proved that they could win without their star player Scott Prince and beat the best team in the NRL at that, defeating the Storm for the second time in the past two seasons without him.

Melbourne opened their account first when winger Anthony Quinn crossed the line in the 13th minute, taking advantage of Gold Coast’s halfback Preston Campbell losing the ball inside the Storm’s half, in his first of a brilliant hat-trick of opening half tries.

Cameron Smith converted the Storm’s first try giving them a 6 – nil lead, but only six minutes later the Titans’ Joseph Tomane scored the Gold Coast’s first try.

Mat Rogers missed the kick and after Quinn scored again for the Storm in the 22nd and 29th minutes, with Smith converting one from two, they went to the break with a comfortable 16 – 4 lead.

It was looking to be over for the Titans at half time, but they came back fired up and ready to fight.

Gold Coast played a sensational second half of footy, stepping up in their defence to stop the Storm from putting any more points on the board.

Lock Ashley Harrison, celebrating his 200th first-grade match, began their comeback scoring a try five minutes into the second half. Rogers converted and bought the score to a more manageable 16 – 10.

20 minutes later Titans’ five-eight Greg Bird, who really put in his all this game, scored again for his team and the kick saw them locked 16 all. Birds’ try came on the back of a controversial penalty against Melbourne for ‘time-wasting’ when taking a goalline dropout in the 64th minute, and it was just what they needed to win.

With 15 minutes left on the board there was hope still for the Storm to maintain their unbeaten record, but with two penalties awarded and kicked by Rogers in the last 10 minutes of play, the Titans were the ones who came away with the win 20 – 16.

The loss saw the Storm drift in the premiership betting markets and the Titans will be thankful for the win and the confidence it brings as they face the top ranking team, the Dragons, in Round 6.