Round 5 – Match 5 Results: Canterbury Bulldogs 24 v New Zealand Warriors 30

The Warriors scored another upset win on Saturday night when they won against the Bulldogs as the visitors at ANZ Stadium.

It was Canterbury’s fourth loss this season, their only win coming in Round 3, while New Zealand have now won three from five.

The surprisingly close match began with a Bulldogs try by halfback Brett Kimmorley just six minutes in, followed by Bryson Goodwin’s conversion that gave the home side an early 6 – nil advantage.

But in the 17th minute Brent Tate opened the Warriors’ account and James Maloney made sure it would be point for point between the two clubs as he kicked the conversion tying them six all.

Less than 10 minutes later New Zealand were at it again as the massive Manu Vatuvei, back a week early after a hamstring injury, scored their second try in the 24th minute and the conversion gave them a 12 – 6 lead.

Vatuvei felt the wrath of his hamstring again, however, coming off just five minutes into the second half and not returning for the rest of the game.

Before the half-time siren, however, Bulldogs’ Benjamin Barba managed to put down another one for Canterbury, which Goodwin converted, again tying the teams this time 12 all at half time.

Back from the break the Warriors were the first to score as Jacob Lillyman got one over five minutes in and Maloney again converted giving them back a six point lead.

Just three minutes later winger Kevin Locke increased New Zealand’s lead after picking up a ball kicked by Maloney and then missed by Ben Barba, and Maloney, who had a sensational game converting all five of the Warriors tries and having a hand in a number of crucial moves, bought them up 24 – 12 ahead of Canterbury.

The Bulldogs fought back quickly after that with Luke Patten scoring in the 56th minute after swooping on a grubber from Michael Ennis, Goodwin converting and the margin again shortening to six.

Jamal Idris burst through the Warriors’ defence just three minutes later and again the score was tied at a nail-biting 24 all.

No points were scored in the next 20 minutes despite desperate and thrilling attempts by both sides. But just when it looked the game would have to move into golden-point extra-time, New Zealand’s five-eighth Lance Hohaia scored a rousing try under the posts with 30 seconds left on the clock and the conversion sealed their victory 30 – 24.