Round 5 – Match 7 Results: Penrith Panthers 23 v Sydney Roosters 6

In the second match on Sunday afternoon, an error-riddled match saw the Panthers win their third match of the year when they beat an out-of-form Roosters 23 – 6 at CUA Stadium.

Coming off a sensational victory ahead of the Broncos last round, the Roosters seemed a different team this week, unable to complete a set of six or take advantage of any of the opportunities they had to score, practically handing Penrith the win.

The final score wasn’t quite the thrashing Sydney received from Penrith last time they met here, 48 – 6 last May, but it was nothing to boast about either.

Both teams gave a pretty poor performance, with the Roosters coming off the worst of the two and making the Panthers look better than they were.

The Panthers completely dominated the first half with ball possession and points and left the Chooks scoreless after 40 minutes.

Penrith’s Joseph Paulo opened the home side’s account eight minutes in and then Michael Jennings backed up with another try for the Panthers in the 14th minute.

Michael Gordon kicked one from two giving Penrith a 10 – nil lead ahead of Sydney after just 15 minutes.

Adrian Purtell scored the Panthers third first-half try two minutes before the siren and the conversion saw them extend their lead 16 – nil heading into the break.

Purtell’s try was set up by talented young fullback Lachlan Coote, who played a brilliant game.

The second half was no better for the Roosters, who began poorly and continued to drop the ball, miss tackles and make errors.

Coote, who seems to have put the injuries that marred his past two seasons behind him, scored a try of his own pouncing on a Luke Walsh grubber for Penrith 10 minutes into the second half and the kick saw their lead grow to 22 – nil.

The way Sydney were playing however, the Panthers’ score should have been three times what it was.

Before it could get any worse, Mitchell Aubusson finally scored for Sydney putting their one and only try down a minute over 60 minutes of play. Todd Carney, who despite his team’s disappointing defeat played another solid game of footy, converted bringing the Chooks final score to a diminutive six points.

But Penrith weren’t finished just yet, and Michael Gordon scored himself a try in the 73rd minute converting to make the final score 28 – 6.