NRL Round 6 – Match 4 Results: Roosters 36 v Raiders 6

The high-flying Roosters notched their fourth season win on Saturday when they secured an impressive 30 point victory ahead of Canberra at Sydney Football Stadium.

Despite the size and skill of the Raiders squad this year, they now sit second last on the ladder with just two wins to their name.

It was an excellent comeback for Sydney after their devastating loss to Penrith in Round 5, and they proved that they are a team to be reckoned with this year.

The Roosters totally dominated the game, keeping the Raiders scoreless right up until the 58th minute.

In the first half veteran Anthony Minichiello put Sydney’s first points on the board when he scored in the ninth minute. Then, it was all razzle dazzle from the Roosters as Shaun Kenny-Dowall backed up their opening try a mere two minutes later.

Top Sydney playmaker Todd Carney, who put in one of his most impressive match performances facing his old team, converted both tries giving the Roosters an early 12 – nil lead after less than 15 minutes.

Before the first half was over, Carney had scored and converted his first try of an eventual match double, increasing their half time lead to an imposing 18 to nil.

The second half was much of the same as Carney completed his double just seven minutes back from the break. Converting his own try again, the still scoreless Raiders were in big trouble by now trailing by 24 points, 16 of which Carney had scored as he showed Canberra the kind of star they could have had on their side.

After making his mark, Carney was forced off the field with a rib injury, which hopefully won’t keep him from playing against the Dragons next week in the ANZAC day showdown.

At long last Joel Thompson opened the Raiders’ account getting over the line just outside the final quarter. Terry Campese converted their sole try, giving them their only six points.

In the last 20 minutes Sydney scored twice more when Nick Kouparitsas and prop  Frank Paul Nuuausala got over in the 74th and 77th minutes, and with Braith Anasta, replacing Carney as kicker, converting both the board read 36 – 6 at full time in favour of the Chooks.

Canberra lost more than just the match as halfback Josh McCrone was taken off in the first half with a neck injury and then in the later stages of the game Joe Picker suffered a head injury and was also out of the game.