NRL Round 7 – Match 1 Results: Canterbury Bulldogs 36 v Brisbane Broncos 18

The opening match on Friday night saw the struggling Brisbane Broncos suffer their fifth season loss, this time at the hands of the steadily improving Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Despite their big win ahead of the struggling Sharks in Round 6, the Broncos failed to fire again as they found Canterbury’s strength far greater than their previous rival’s.

Brisbane now have just two wins to their name for 2010 and as such are at the long odds of $41 for a Premiership win with

The Bulldogs on the other hand seem to be on the up and up as Friday night’s win was their second successive victory after they put the Tigers away the previous week.

It was a hard-hitting start with no points put on the board until the 14th minute when the Bulldogs winger Bryson Goodwin opened their account scoring his first of two tries.

Goodwin was sensational on the night and kicked every conversion but one to score an impressive 20 of the Bulldogs 36 points on his own.

After Canterbury’s opening try, the Broncos lock Corey Parker got on board a mere three minutes later giving Brisbane their first four-pointer.

Parker missed the conversion but made up for it by kicking a penalty in the 26th minute to tie the score six all.

It was looking to be a half-time tie but with just two minutes left before the break powerhouse centre Jamal Idris, who also played an instrumental role in the Dogs’ win, got over the line and Goodwin’s conversion gave them a 12 – 6 lead after the first 40.

Back from the break the Bulldogs dominated, scoring three tries inside seven minutes despite the loss of a number of players to some nasty injuries in the third quarter.

First five-eighth Ben Roberts injured his ankle three minutes in, then centre Josh Morris left the Dogs to play without him for nearly all the second half after getting poked in the eye.

But Canterbury didn’t let that stop them and Benjamin Barba was the first to score in the second half eight minutes in, followed just two minutes later by Luke Patten’s impressive 50th minute try.

Bryson Goodwin then completed his match double five minutes later and kicking two from three and the 44th minute penalty gave the Dogs a very comfortable 30 – 6 lead.

Not giving up, the Broncos did manage to add some respectability to the score pulling out two tries just four minutes apart as skipper Darren Lockyer scored in the 59th minute and Alex Glenn in the 63rd minute. This time Parker converted both and it looked like Brisbane could be in with a chance as the score now sat at a more manageable 30 – 18 with just under 20 minutes still left on the clock.

But the Broncos wouldn’t score again while Canterbury’s Blake Green put one final try down for the winners in the 67th minute and the final score sat at 36 – 18.

It was a brutal win for Canterbury, their first against the Broncos in Sydney for five years, who suffered a number of serious injuries.

Ben Hannant will be out for a minimum of four weeks after knee injury that required surgery, Josh Morris fractured his eye socket and will also receive surgery and David Stagg was carted off the field with eight minutes left to play after injuring his neck during a tackle on Darren Lockyer.