NRL Round 7 – Match 4 Results: Cronulla Sharks 26 v Newcastle Knights 6

Saturday night’s match at Toyota Stadium was one of the surprise results of Round 7 as the under-performing Sharks claimed just their second win for 2010, this time ahead of the Newcastle Knights.

Well beaten in their previous two matches, going down to the Broncos 44 – 16 and before that the Sea Eagles 40 – 12, the Sharks put in a sensational effort at their home ground to secure a 20 point win.

Newcastle too now has just two wins to their name this season and are struggling to come out on top in their matches despite some solid plays.

Following the controversial penalties imposed on the Melbourne Storm for their salary cap rort, the Sharks now know that no matter what they won’t win the Wooden Spoon this year and this confidence seemed to lift their game to new heights on the weekend.

Cronulla kept Newcastle scoreless until the final minute of the match and in the meantime got in five tries for themselves.

Dean Collis opened their account 19 minutes in with a try out wide and Isaac Gordon followed in with a 40-metre try in the 31st minute, his first of a match double. Nathan Stapleton converted one of the two first-half tries and the Sharks, much to the joy of the excited home crowd, went to the half time break leading 10 – nil.

Cronulla dominated again in the second half with Tim Smith putting the ball over the line in the 54th minute after a kick from John Morris and the conversion put them a further six points in front.

The Knights were still scoreless and the Sharks didn’t show any mercy as Isaac Gordon finished off his double in the 69th minute followed just four minutes later by former Knights player Kade Snowden’s try. Two of the three second half tries were converted by Stapleton and Cronulla’s final score sat at 26 points.

It looked as though Newcastle would finish with a nil score as the game moved into the final minute, but just when it looked all over Junior Sa’u finally put some points on the board for the well-beaten visitors as the full time siren blared and Kurt Gidley’s kick saw them finish up with six.