NRL Round 7 – Match 6 Results: St George Illawarra Dragons 28 v Sydney Roosters 6

In the big ANZAC Day clash the powerful Dragons fought back hard in the second half to come away with a comprehensive victory ahead of the Roosters, becoming the only team in the NRL with six wins this season.

Sitting strong at the top of the NRL Ladder following their win on Sunday and the withdrawal of the Melbourne Storm from premiership contention, St George are now the hot premiership favourites at $3.75 for a win with

Despite a strong first half, Sydney lost steam in the second 40 minutes and were well-beaten by the end as the Dragons handed them their third loss for 2010 in front of a record crowd exceeding 36,200 fans.

It was a close start with both sides bringing their best to the field and good defence from both teams saw them come away with only one first half try each.

Talented fullback Todd Carney put the first points on the board when the Roosters decided to go for a penalty kick in the seventh minute giving them an early two point lead. Carney, however, fumbled a bit with the ball later in the game, his errors opening up opportunities for the Dragons.

The first try of the game wasn’t scored until the 27th minute when the speedy Brett Morris touched down for the Dragons to put them two points in front.

In the final 30 seconds of the first half Mitchell Aubusson finally got over the line for Sydney and even though it wasn’t converted, Sydney snared a close 6 – 4 lead at half time.

Back from the break, however, the Chooks failed to score again and let the Dragons get in with four unanswered tries.

The first was by prop Trent Merrin in the 47th minute as he charged through the Roosters defence, followed six minutes later by Matt Cooper who took advantage of Darius Boyd’s skilful kick. Jamie Soward converted both and they stormed in front by 12 points.

Half an hour into the second half hooker Luke Priddis scored again for St George throwing himself over the line, and Soward’s conversion saw them extend their lead. Then Matt Cooper got a penalty try with five minutes left on the clock, the conversion bringing their final score to 28 beating the Rooster’s 6.

The Dragons have now won five of their past six ANZAC Day matches.