2010 City v Country Rep Game Results: Country 36 v City 18

In the second representative match on Friday night, the star-studded Country team proved too good for their City rivals as they claimed a commanding 36 – 18 win at the Regional Sports Stadium at Port Macquarie.

It seemed that the pressure of impressing test selectors with Origin just around the corner gave the City boys some nerves making it even tougher to overcome their rivals.

After trailing by 12 points after the first 20 minutes, the boys from the bush made a brilliant comeback finishing with six converted tries, thanks to spot-on kicking by Luke Burt who amassed 16 of the Country’s 36 points himself, to the City’s three.

The City side dominated early on with a strong start scoring twice in the first quarter before the Country boys could open their account.

First Kris Keating got over in the 16th minute before Lachlan Coote scored again four minutes later and with Trent Hodkinson converting both first half tries, City lead 12 – 0.

It wasn’t long before the Country team ignited their comeback when star quarterback from the Raiders Josh Dugan put their first points on the board in the 28th minute.

Ninteen-year-old Dugan was having his rep footy debut and was so impressive not only scoring a try but being instrumental in the lead-up to another that he has test selectors now seriously considering a Blues jersey for him.

Then the in-form Jamal Idris got in another four-pointer for the Country team in the final minute of the first half and Burt’s two conversions tied the score 12 all heading into the break.

In the second half the City boys failed to show any of the same spark that they opened the match with and the Country side were able to walk all over them scoring four tries in the final 40 minutes.

There were a couple of nasty injuries to the City team too with Luke O’Donnell out in the 67th minute with a bad knee injury and Kris Keating also injured.

Luke Burt started the Country’s second-half assault nine minutes back from the break and when he converted his own try they lead for the first time in the match 18 – 12.

Michael Robertson backed up in the 62nd minute with another converted try so they extended their lead to a comfortable 24 – 12.

Then to put the icing on the cake Dean Young scored an impressive second half double in less than 10 minutes, getting over in the 68th and 77th minutes, both converted so they finished up with a hefty 36 points.

In between Young’s double, City’s Anthony Minichiello managed to score a consolatory try in the 72nd minute that was converted by Hodkinson, but they still finished 28 points behind in a tough Origin selection trial.