NRL Round 10 – Match 6 Results: Wests Tigers 10 v 50 South Sydney Rabbitohs

In the classic Heritage Round match on Sunday, the Rabbitohs scored their biggest win in over 300 games when they trounced the Tigers by an emphatic 40 points at Sydney Cricket Ground in front of a 30,000 strong crowd.

The nine tries to two victory has ensured South Sydney stay in the top eight, sitting comfortably at number five on the ladder. Wests Tigers on the other hand are starting to look in real trouble, now coming off four successive losses.

The huge winning margin was thanks to a hat-trick from winger Nathan Merritt, while Beau Champion also scored two tries and in-form hooker Issac Luke did his bit for South Sydney converting seven from nine to score 14 points off his boot.

Nathan Merritt opened the Rabbitohs account 12 minutes in and Luke’s conversion saw them lead six to nil.

Tigers were next to score when Robert Lui went over in the 20th minute. Benji Marshall, who had a shocker after this point, kicked it through the posts and the score was tied six all after the first quarter.

But the score soon ballooned in favour of the Rabbitohs who managed two more first half tries, one each to Dave Taylor and Chris Sandow five minutes apart, both converted by Luke so the visitors went to the break leading 18 – 6.

In the second half South Sydney totally dominated. Mere moments into the third quarter, Beau Champion scored a dazzling double three minutes apart with tries in the 43rd and 46th minute. Luke kicked one from two to extend their lead 28 – 6, and it was apparent that Wests Tigers were in trouble and that Benji Marshall had fallen out of form after a number of his errors gave the Rabbitohs the advantage they needed to score.

Although they crossed the line twice more in the second half, Wests knocked on both, unable to gather themselves.

Another three minutes on the action continued as Merritt scored his second try of the match, the kick putting them in front by another six.

Before Wests could score again, the Rabbitohs managed another three unanswered tries with Colin Best getting over in the 64th minute after a spot on kick from Chris Sandow, Merritt completing his hat-trick in the 70th minute and then Fetuli Talanoa putting the final four on the board in the 72nd minute. Luke successfully booted two from three and they were 50 – 6 up, an embarrassing margin for the failing home side.

With one minute left on the clock Chris Lawrence scored a consolatory four-pointer for the Tigers, Marshall missed the conversion, and they finished 40 points behind at the full time siren.

This weekend the Rabbitohs will travel to New Zealand to face the Warriors, can they make it two from two and win again? If you want to place a wager on them visit