NRL Round 13 – Match 1 Results: Bulldogs 12 v 19 Wests Tigers

On Friday night Round 13 kicked off with another strong performance by the Wests Tigers who beat the Bulldogs 19 – 12 at ANZ Stadium in a soaking wet showdown.

The Tigers are looming ever closer to the top four, now in the fifth spot on the NRL ladder, after enjoying three consecutive wins including their massive 50 – 6 victory ahead of the Warriors in Round 12.

Canterbury, on the other hand, are sitting well down in number 14 after suffering an embarrassing fifth straight loss on Friday night.

It was a grinding first half that saw just two tries scored with the wet conditions making it nearly impossible for players to hold onto the ball. The Bulldog’s Josh Morris made it a half-century of tires getting the first points on the board in the 21st minute. Bryson Goodwin converted and the home side had a six point lead after the first quarter.

But less than 10 minutes later the Tigers star playmaker Benji Marshall evened things up, scoring and then converting a try after scooping up a Farah grubber-kick Luke Patten dropped, so they went to the break tied six all.

In the second half the visitors dominated and looked ready to take the lead when Marshall went for a penalty kick seven minutes in. But the pressure of the close game and the unfavourable conditions saw the normally flawless kicker miss the shot.

It was then the Bulldogs who scored the first second half points with Andrew Ryan getting in Canterbury’s second in try in the 53rd minute. Goodwin made it two from two and the Doggies were up 12 – 6.

But just six minutes later the Tigers struck back when the in-form Robbie Farah got over in the 59th minute after a run from dummy-half and Marshall’s kick saw the scores locked for a second time.

With the rain drilling down and four points worth 10 in the conditions the crowd, commentators and everyone watching knew it would be close and that a field goal was inevitable.

It came in the 70th minute when the Wests Robert Lui kicked a beauty, and the Tigers lead by one point.

With two minutes left on the clock it looked all but over, however, the Tigers added a some gloss to their victory when second rower Simon Dwyer scored a final four-pointer in the 78th minute, Marshall again converting so the Wests won 19 – 12.

Next week both the Bulldogs and the Tigers have a bye, but there are still five other excellent games in Round 14 to have a punt on so check out the markets at!