NRL Round 13 – Match 4 Results: Sydney Roosters 18 v 42 Cronulla Sharks

On Saturday the low ranking Sharks claimed the surprise win of the weekend when they travelled to Sydney Football Stadium and handed the inconsistent Roosters a massive 42 – 18 thrashing, the largest winning margin of Round 13.

With the win, their fourth of the season, Cronulla have moved up to number 13 on the ladder and look to be improving especially in their attack.

Meanwhile the Roosters are outside the top eight sitting at number nine after suffering their sixth loss for 2010. The statistics were against the Roosters in Round 13 after they had won against the Titans 30 – 16 the week before, as Sydney has not been able to secure back-to-back wins since the opening two games of the year.

The Sharks began their dominant seven-tries-to-three upset just 10 minutes into Saturday’s match when young fullback Nathan Gardner successfully kicked a penalty. They backed this up just three minutes later when Grant Millington got over the line. Gardner, playing in just his fourth NRL match, had a brilliant game kicking five conversions, two penalties and scoring a stunning try to amass an impressive personal haul of 18 points, and he converted the first so the visitors lead by eight after the first 15 minutes.

Just four minutes later Cronulla scored again when Paul Gallen, who has been called up to play for NSW in Origin II after missing out on the opener, scored in the 17th minute and the conversion saw them ahead 14 – nil.

Things were going swimmingly for the Sharks, who were awarded a second penalty in the 25th minute that Gardner kicked successfully adding another two to their score.

The Roosters finally opened their account after 32 minutes when Phil Graham scored and Todd Carney’s kick narrowed the margin by six.

But a mere two minutes later the Sharks showed Sydney they weren’t giving up their lead, as Siosaia Vave scored and Gardner made it three from three so the score read 22 – 6 in favour of Cronulla going into half-time.

Back from the break the Roosters showed some fight when Shaun Kenny-Dowall scored five minutes into the second half, Carney converting so they trailed by just 10.

But from there on in it was all about the Sharks as they got in four more tries to the Roosters one. Nathan Gardner was first over in the 53rd minute after catching a bomb from Roosters captain Braith Anasta five metres from the Sharks line then bolting down the field in a stunning run. This was followed by hooker John Morris in the 61st, centre Taulima Tautai in the 66th and just when it looked like things couldn’t get any better, Trent Barrett added some final gloss to the score with a try one minute from time.

The only other points scored by the Roosters was a 75th minute try and conversion by Carney, but it did little to dent the damage and the home side favourites went down 18 – 42.

This week the Roosters have a tough game and look in trouble as they head to Melbourne to take on the Storm, while the Sharks will enjoy a well-deserved bye. Will Sydney get thrashed again? Check out the odds at today!