NRL Round 19 – Match 7 Results: Sydney Roosters 36 v 32 Canterbury Bulldogs

An historic rivalry match between the Roosters and the Bulldogs did not disappoint on Sunday afternoon with the Chooks narrowly pulling through after a thrilling clash at Sydney Football Stadium in front of 19,120 rowdy fans.

Sydney are now sitting pretty in the fourth spot on the ladder having secured their third win on the trot, with punters who bet on the Roosters to ‘Make the Top 4’ at starting to get excited.

Punters with bets on the Roosters to ‘Make the Top 4’ at are starting to get excited

Despite a gallant effort, it was still a disappointing result for the Doggies by the end as their three game winning streak was shut down along with last grasp hopes of making the finals as they are now well and truly in the red down in the 13th spot.

It was a brilliant game by both of these Sydney clubs on Sunday, with fans from both teams kept on the edge of their seats as the two battled it out in a try-for-try showdown.

The Roosters were especially courageous as they faced some controversial calls from the refs, but held strong and still came away with the two competition points.

The Chooks were first to score just four minutes in when Joseph Leilua payed out on the first tryscorer markets at

Joseph Leilua was at very juicy odds to score the first try at

Todd Carney, breathtaking on the boot converting six from six on the day, slotted it through the posts and the Roosters lead by six.

Bulldogs fans didn’t have to wait long before Canberra matched the Roosters efforts, and in the 11th minute Michael Ennis scored the visitors’ first.

Bryson Goodwin missed the kick however, putting an end to his 21-straight conversion record, and they trailed by two.

A quick reply by Sydney had Anthony Minichiello score their second converted try in the 17th minute, before a barnstorming run by Josh Morris saw the Dogs go over again just four minutes later.

Carney and Goodwin both were successful with the conversions for their respective clubs, and the Roosters lead by just two points again, 12 – 10.

More rousing first half action had the teams score another converted try each, the Roosters by Todd Carney in the 24th minute and then the Bulldogs by Michael Hodgson in the 29th minute.

Then, to add more tension to an already explosive match, a 36th minute penalty awarded to Canterbury had Goodwin kick two points to close the gap and they were tied 18 all.

Just when it looked like they would head to the sheds in a lock, Mickey Paea scored two minutes from the break for Canterbury and with Goodwin’s conversion they were in front 24 – 18 at halftime.

Back in the second half the visitors got over first with Luke Patten scoring in the 43rd minute and the conversion extended their lead 30 – 18. A questionable forward pass call, which was one of the many notorious calls that marred the game, led to Patten’s try.

But from there things quickly went the Roosters way, Sydney building enough momentum in attack to score three more tries before the game’s end to steal victory.

Firstly, however, skipper Braith Anasta was disallowed a try in the 53rd minute after video refs ruled he had knocked on after snatching up his own grubber.

But then the tables turned and Leilua and Carney both scored their second tries in the 61st and then 71st minutes.

Finally Mitchell Aubusson iced the cake in the 75th minute with a final four-pointer. Three more spot on conversions by Carney giving them 36 points, enough to win despite the Bulldogs receiving a second two-point penalty kick in the 66th minute.

After all the excitement Braith Anasta had plenty to celebrate including being named Man of the Match to commemorate his 200th NRL game.

Want to get behind the Roosters again for their match against the Broncos next Monday night? Don’t do anything until you take five minutes to sign up with No other bookmaker offers such great odds and exciting bet types on the NRL.