The match every NRL footy fan around the country has been waiting for is nearly here, the NRL Grand Final teams to be decided with the preliminary finals this weekend. But first we have a look at week two of the 2011 NRL Telstra Premiership finals to see which teams made it through the sudden-death semis.
New Zealand are the $7 NRL Grand Final outsiders at Luxbet but plenty suggests they shouldn’t be discounted just yet!
The premiership dream has come to an end for the two NRL Week 2 losers with the ever-entertaining Wests Tigers and the defending champions, St George Illawarra Dragons, both knocked out of the competition.
This means that after over 160 minutes of the hardest-hitting footy of the year, the New Zealand Warriors and the Brisbane Broncos came out on top in the NRL week two finals results and are through to the next round.
Here’s what went down so you can see how your NRL finals bets went at Luxbet!
NRL SEMI FINALS 2011 – WEEK 2 RESLUTS
Semi Final 1 Result: Wests Tigers 20 – 22 New Zealand Warriors
- What’s Next: After fighting back in a sudden-death thriller, the New Zealand Warriors’ determination saw them score a match-winning try in the final two minutes of last Friday night’s match, pushing them into week three of the NRL finals. They will now take on the minor premiers, Melbourne Storm, down at AAMI Park on Saturday night (September 24), a team they have a surprisingly good record against.
- What are the Odds: Melbourne are the $1.40 Luxbet favourites to knock New Zealand out this week, but history shows that the Kiwis have claims and there will be plenty taking the juicy $2.95 odds on an upset Week 3 NRL finals result here.
- NRL Grand Final Odds: The Warriors are the outsiders of the four teams left in the competition, Luxbet paying $7 to win the Grand Final on October 2. Melbourne are the $2.75 co-favourites in the NRL futures odds for the Grand Final with Manly.
Semi Final 2 Result: Brisbane Broncos 13 – 12 St George Illawarra Dragons
- What’s Next: This was the game of the season so far, a high-class clash between two of the best in the business. After getting a tight early lead, the Broncos found it hard to really push open that gap as the Dragons’ defence was more than commendable. St George kept coming and scored a match equaliser in the final few minutes to push this blockbuster into golden point. And in traditional Broncos style, the fairytale continued with an injured Darren Lockyer battling through a smashed cheek to kick the drop goal and put Brisbane into the preliminaries. No back-to-back premiership wins for the Dragons folks. Now it is up to the Broncos, Lockie or no Lockie, to travel down to Sydney and take on the Manly Sea Eagles on Friday night at the SFS.
- What are the Odds: Fresh off a week’s rest and at home Manly are the $1.55 Luxbet favourites to put an end to Brisbane’s dream run and move through to the Grand Final. But with the movie script swangsong season continuing to play out for the Broncos’ skipper and his crew, the $2.45 NRL odds on the boys from the sunshine state are very tempting. And, if you fancy Brisbane to go all the way and score their first premiership win since 2006, Luxbet are paying $4.25 on them in their Grand Final betting markets.
Whether you fancy the Sydney clubs to show the visitor’s what’s what or you are looking at those juicy outsider odds, Luxbet are the online bookmaker for all your NRL finals needs this September.
Visit Luxbet today and open a new account quoting the codeword BONUSBET, and you will get your first deposit matched dollar for dollar up to $400 to use on ANY sports, horse racing or special event market you please, including the 2011 NRL Grand Final.